Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Some Say Tomato - Some Say Tamato"

I am not a master gardener but I know a few tips and can grow a mean vegetable and flower garden. I have lots of people of all ages ask me gardening questions so I thought I would start a blog and try to present some new ideas as I learn new things myself! The new thing I learned this year is that tomatoes like Epsom salt (adds needed potassium) and bone meal (fertilizer).
Dig a hole deep enough so that when you plant the tomatoes the dirt will cover the plant up to the first set of leaves, put 1 T. epsom salt and 1 c. bonemeal into each hole, then put in tomato plant and cover with dirt up to the first set of leaves. Water, pray for sun and warmth, and watch them grow! My awesome husband built me cool white trellises to trellis my tomatoes on and it worked awesome last year. I love heirloom tomato varieties, and alway grow pink Brandywine tomatoes and am trying one this year called longkeeper (which lasts a long time). I also am going to grow a tomato called Whopper ( this one is supposed to weigh in at 2 lbs.) I am also going to grow several kinds of basil to enjoy with my tomatoes! Happy Gardening!

5 comments:

  1. I'll take a whopper with extra sugar, please. I was wondering when you were going to start sharing some of your expertise with all of us garden head wannabes. Thanks for being so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take my whopper with salt. Mike must be related to Charlotte Weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take my whopper with fresh mozzarella cheese, basil and olive oil sprinkled on it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question: Where do you buy bonemeal, or do you grind it yourself to make your bread?
    Another Question: If I am going to make a raised garden bed, can I just put some of that plastic-y stuff that won't let plants grow on top of my grass and then pour soil on top, or do I have to build a wooden bottom into my garden bed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can probably buy bonemeal at any garden center, Rite Aid, Walmart or Fred Meyer. I got mine at the dollar store a few years ago. To do a raised bed you can put down plastic (even an old shower curtain) to kill the grass but would then take off plastice before adding dirt ( some of your plant roots may go deeper than the raised part of your bed so best not to totally cut off access to the soil underneath) Have you seen my raised beds Hal built me ( they rock and look good too)? We used pure compost for dirt in them! Or just lay down a couple of layers of newspaper and then cover with your soil. You need at least 6 inches for your raised bed but can build them as high as your waist if don't want to have to bend over. Some people build them high and put little benches along them so they can sit down and garden! My beds are 10 inches deep and 4' X 8'.

    ReplyDelete