Monday, May 24, 2010

In A Garden

This is one of my favorite poems and also this is why I chose the name of my blog:

IN A GARDEN

The kiss of the sun
for pardon,
The song of the birds
for mirth, -
One is nearer God's heart
in a garden
Than anywhere else
on earth

Dorothy F. B. Gurney

I have always enjoyed this poem and the miracle of watching the little seeds grow - it is amazing how you put a dried up old seed in the ground and in a couple of weeks it becomes a living growing thing! I have attended two container gardening classes this year and am going to another one on Weds. I will share what I have learned in the next couple of blogs.

Yesterday I had the most beautiful bird in my garden - it was bright yellow with a large orange spot on the top of its head and it had black and white striped wings! It was as large as a big fat Robin! It must be some kind of a wild canary! I also have had several hummingbirds come to my feeder! I also hung up two finchfeeders and another hummingbird feeder! I am determined to get birds back in my garden despite the presence of my two cats, Sis and Budgie. I also have not had birds due to the ominous presence of all the squirrels raiding my supposedly squirrelproof birdfeeder! I have thus far captured and humanely (of course) released 11 squirrels. They especailly like to be turned loose next to a large tree - one squirrel ran clear across the newer park (with little trees) into a guy's yard before he found a large tree!

Back to Sis, the cat! She has always been my garden cat and always comes and hangs out with me when I am outside gardening! She just sits there and then follows me as I move from garden to garden! She was my garden cat in California and even though I once gave her to the neighbors (they would let her sleep in the house), she still would come over and help me garden! When the neighbors divorced, I asked them what they were going to do with my cat? They said they had found a home for her but I told them I would like her back! Other, then the time Sis leaped five feet into the air and actually caught and killed a hummingbird , I have really enjoyed her hanging around!

3 comments:

  1. Bad ol' Sis . . . that hummingbird grabbin' is strictly against the rules. Good luck with the birdies . . . I sure love our scrub jays, woodpeckers, and hummers. We get some spotted towhees, finches, chickadees, quail, well, you get the idea. Our scrub jay was attacking Bravo the squirrel on Saturday . . . not sure what his offence was, I think they both wanted the same acorn. Maybe you just need some jays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad our cat is too fat to catch birds! Love your blog. Make sure to include pictures! Can't wait to see how your garden grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will add pictures when I can figure it out - don't know how right now! I found out the pretty brd is a Western Tanager and their coloring comes from what they eat - what happens if they eat something with stripes - yikes!

    ReplyDelete